You will be evaluated on your knowledge but You wont be selected based on that. At least 90% weighted would be for following points
- Number of years of experience( It doesn't matter how much you know).
- Tag Name of your Previous employers.
I am sorry about that but its bitter truth at-least for the Desi MNCs ( Engineering companies in India and Gulf region.) But if you have nationality privilege i.e. Arabic , or Omani than below 10 % is more than sufficient to get you selected for your Job.
Let us concentrate for remaining 10 %
- Most Important thing for any interview is to defend your CV i.e. you should be able to answer all queries about the things mentioned in your Resume.
Apart from that you should be able to answer on following topics ( Hot topics)
- Hydraulic calculation (Line Sizing)
- Heat Exchanger
- PSV calculation
- Simulation ( Mostly about HYSYS)
- Tank/Separator calculation & Datasheet
Standard questions for each sections are Like
- What is NPSH ( how to Calculate) -
- What is System curve
- Pump Curve
- Pump Operating point
For Hydraulic calculation (Line Sizing):
- How to do Line Sizing
- what are typical velocity values for Liquid & Gas
- Have you done 2-Phase calculation
For Heat Exchanger :
- How to do Heat exchanger calculation -tell the steps
- Have you used HTRI
- What are the things to look into in a HTRI generated Data sheet
For PSV calculation :
- Which code is used for PSV Calculation
- What are different scenario of Relief load calculation
- What is maximum over pressure allowed in Fire case & all other cases scenario.
- what is the distance from source of fire to be considered in Fire case calculation.
For Simulation ( Mostly about HYSYS) :
- Which Simulation software you used
- what is the property package you used
- how to select property package
- steps to build a Simulation
For Tank/Separator calculation & Datasheet :
- Which API code is used for Tanks/ Separator etc.
- Have you filled Data sheet for Tanks/ Pumps etc.
Apart from these interviewer can ask anything :) depend upon his experience e.g.
If Interviewer is recently got the opportunity to take interviews ( 10-12 years of person) . He has some strange fear for this new responsibility and he think he have to prove that he know more than you. No problem , try to drag him into the something which you know
How you can drive your interviwer where you are comfartable ?
Its simple , Just end your answer at the point e.g.
Question :Do you know how to design a heat exchanger ?
Answer : No Sir , I have not much Idea in that , I study in my course . I have recently working on xxxxx ( where you want him to ask next question)
If HOD takes your interview he will evaluate you for his purpose (his Upcoming projects in pipeline)and this best opportunity to get selected.
Very experience and high ranking person only check attitude and behavior of team work :- and this should be the practice in my view also.
have a nice day